Everyone knows Canadian women are tough—you have to be to survive our winter! It takes grit to get through the cold season in Ontario, but to brave the elements AND look stylish and sophisticated? That takes a little bit of genius. Luckily, this year’s trends for late fall and winter are very forgiving for us Canadian gals. Here are our styling tips for this year’s cold weather fashions in Guelph.
Fall/Winter 2019 Fashion Trends
Part of what makes fashion so much fun is the ever-evolving nature of trends. As long as you have a few timeless pieces, you can mix up your wardrobe every year.
When we think about fashion trends, we want to think in terms of three pillars—colour, fabric, and fit. Here’s a brief trend report of colours, fabrics, and fits that are appropriate for women of any age in 2019.
2019 Fall/Winter Fashion Colours
According to Pantone, the season’s core shades are:
- Vanilla Custard – An understated, warm white.
- Evening Blue – A night-sky-inspired navy shade.
- Paloma – An elegant, true-neutral light gray.
- Guacamole – A rich shade of green that is just a touch brighter than the standby military-style tone.
These accessible tones are easy to wear and even easier to pair together. However, if you’re not afraid to be a little bolder, here are a few of the fun shades that showed up all over New York Fashion Week this year.
- Chili Pepper – A spicy, playful red.
- Fruit Dove – A fun, daring pink.
- Sugar Almond – A delicious shade of chocolatey brown.
- Dark Cheddar – A sharp yellow-orange.
- Galaxy Blue – A royal blue that’s out of this world!
- Eden – A lush, deep forest green.
2019 Fall/Winter Fabrics
While fabrics like satin and ostrich feathers dominated the runway this year, we’ll leave it to you to explore those trends in moderation! As far as the more wearable fabrics of the season go, this season is all about:
- Fleece – Yes, your favourite lightweight layer is finally in style!
- Flannel – Tartan is big right now, and there’s no better way to rock it than in warm, soft flannel.
- Leather – From coats to pants to shoes and accessories—you can’t go wrong with real or imitation leather.
- Corduroy – The 70s are back, and they brought this fabric along with them!
- Silk – Silk scarves are enjoying a big moment right now, and they’re a great way to show off some personality with unique patterns. (Psst—there’s never been a better time to try leopard print!)
2019 Fall/Winter Fits
The “in” silhouette of any given season is almost more important than the fabric or colours you’re using to achieve it. This season, opt for:
- Turtlenecks – The “it” neckline of the moment! Rock a loose, voluminous turtleneck sweater alone or layer a fitted turtleneck under a roomier top layer.
- Wide-Leg Pants – Rejoice! This size-inclusive trend works for just about everyone. Try flowy pleated pants, relaxed-fit denim, or a 70s-style flare to show off this look.
- “Wearable Blankets” – Ponchos and capes are both smash-hits for fall/winter 2019. Wear them over your workwear while the weather permits, then layer with fitted turtlenecks as the mercury drops.
- Duster Coats – The ultimate chic alternative to the parka. A wool duster coat, coupled with strategic layers, can stand up to some of Guelph’s most frigid temperatures. The oversized aesthetic is forgiving and oh-so-cool.
- Midi Skirts – If you do choose to walk on the wild side with fabrics like satin or leather, the midi skirt is the trendy, and decidedly more conservative, way to wear them.
Styling with Layers
Now that you know what you’re working with, it’s time to play dress-up! Try these layered looks to stay warm and look hot.
Fitted Turtleneck + Poncho + Relaxed-Fit Pants. You can interpret this look for casual weekend wear or office wear, depending on the pants you choose. A slim-fitting turtleneck (we recommend a dark colour, like black or Evening Blue) elongates the arms and neck, while the poncho (opt for a wool number in beige or Vanilla Custard) creates a stylish billowing effect and keeps you cozy. Roll the hems of a relaxed-fit pant loosely to reveal a low bootie or Doc Marten—another trendy blast from the past.
Button-Down Blouse + Silk Scarf + Flared Pant + Cape. Pair your go-to button down with a fun silk scarf to jazz up your usual look. A flared pant, whether you opt for a jean or dress material, plays well with the vintage vibe of the scarf. “Cape” it all off with a roomy cape in a gorgeous wool fabric, and you’re groovy, baby.
Turtleneck Sweater + Duster Coat + Relaxed-Fit Pant OR Fitted Midi-Skirt. A girl’s gotta have options! When the duster comes off, the turtleneck sweater and choice of bottom will look fabulous when you opt for any of the year’s colours. When the weather cooperates, a relaxed-fit pant and loafer is right on the money. If you’re getting cold feet about that look, a knee-high boot with a chunky heel will keep you cozy and compliment a midi skirt in leather, corduroy, or satin.
If you really want to make an impact, try this look in monochrome—it’s easy to do when you go for a neutral shade, like Sugar Almond or Paloma.
2019 Winter Accessories
Silk scarves are just one accessory option to jazz up your winter looks. There are plenty of ways to add some personality to your look, many of them as practical as they are stylish.
Warm accessories make all the difference when the mercury drops, and we’ve got plenty of cozy, fashionable options at Tsuga Boutique. Stay cozy and complete your look with these winter hats by Canadian brand Tilley, which you’ll find here at Tsuga Boutique:
- Tilley Pom Pom Toque
- Merino Toque
- Montana Fedora
- Chloe Wool Felt Fedora
- Tec-Wool Hat
- TMH Mountain Hat
Match your hat to a stylish scarf, a pair of mittens, or hat by Parkhurst. We also have touch screen-friendly gloves available for texting on the go!
Sugar Canes by Jacqueline Kent are perfect for sassy ladies looking for an accessory to take pressure off hips and knees. Each cane is a true confection, dripping in stunning flat-back and princess-cut rhinestones.
If you love jewellery, our collection by Christophe Poly is sure to stand out in your collection. Each handcrafted piece contains unique, offbeat shapes and stones unlike anything else you’ve seen before.
Nothing cramps your style like frozen legs and feet. Our fleece-lined bamboo leggings give you an extra dose of warmth whether layered under pants, flaunted under skirts, or worn alone with a sporty hoodie. As for your feet, keep the temperature “just right” with our Mama Bear socks! You can pick up the whole Bear family—including Papa Bear, Little Bear, and Baby Bear—for an absolutely adorable stocking stuffer.
All of these great pieces are easy to put together in your own way, so visit us today and try on some of our fall and winter pieces yourself! Our fashion experts are happy to help you assemble a unique look that flatters your shape, and your personality.